Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Special Update - Anti-Weightism Campaign

Today, I decided to up the ante on my Anti-Weightism campaign...

After finding myself victimised by weightists, I pushed ahead with my campaign but, despite having an excellent slogan (Hell, No! We won't grow!) and an equally superb campaign poster, I knew that I would need to enlist some serious support if I was to raise the profile of this heinous problem to a level where it could be exposed to the media. So, I did what any good campaigner would do and attempted to obtain some celebrity support - starting with Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Dear Mr. Schwarzenegger

I am writing to seek your support for a campaign that I am organising...

Recently, I became aware that the recruitment policies of some companies were prejudicing the opportunities of candidates who weren't prepared to adjust their physical dimensions. I myself was rejected for a job because I was 6kg too light for the requirements of the company - and it appears I am not in the minority as there are a multitude of jobs advertised that insist on specific weight limits.

In this day and age, when the dangers of obesity have never been more clear, I feel it is vital that we send a message that this kind of discrimination won't be tolerated. As not only the Governor of California, but also a figure of some stature within the fitness world, I was hoping you might be able to give me a positive quote that I can use to further enhance our campaign.

I look forward to hearing from you. You can make a huge difference.

Regards

Oliver.


I'm certain that Arnie will be back in touch soon and, in the meantime, I'm drawing up a list of celebrities and organisations to approach and get on board with the campaign. I believe people should be able to live in a world where they are free to apply for jobs without fear of being rejected due to lack of weight...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice of celebrity backer for you campaign, Oliver...from this quote in a 1977 article, it's clear that Arnie is more than willing to `employ' heavyweights:

"I can look at a chick who's a little out of shape and if she turns me on, I won't hesitate to date her. If she's a good f**k, she can weigh 150 pounds, I don't care."

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/arnoldoui1.html

Oliver Davies said...

Lemoncurd - That Arnie, eh? Always the charmer...

Dave - worrying, very worrying!