Monday, October 16, 2006

Week 6 - Update

This week, I received a reply from the Barrafina restaurant about my application to be their Head Chef; unfortunately it seems that they have decided to ignore my catering enthusiasm and love of raw ingredients and, instead, promote from within:

I am sorry we didn't get back to you back in September. We have decided to appoint our sous chef at Fino as head chef for Barrafina. I am sorry but off hand I can't remeber your CV. If you would like my comments on it please send it through again and I would be delighted to give you some feedback.

I, of course, was only too happy to send my CV again in order to get the opinion of a well-renowned restaurant owner but did confess that it was, perhaps, "skewed a little in the wrong direction" - something he agreed on in his reply:

I have looked at your CV and you are right it is a little skewed for the catering profession. We would expect anyone applying for the position of Head Chef to have at least 8 years experience working in professional kitchens operating at a high level..

However, it then dawned upon me that, in my initial application for the position, I had failed to include mention of my extensive catering experience! So, as quickly as I could manage, I wrote back to explain that:

"...I realised, after sending you my CV, that I had not included my experience of working in the kitchen at the Loyal Lodge pub (as part of my bar keeping duties). I prepared a range of meals including steak and chips, gammon and chips (with a choice of egg or pineapple) and jam rolly-polly (with custard). I hope this omission didn’t harm my chances too much…"

I've not heard back from him yet. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

In other news, I've finally got around to sorting out an mp3 of last week's TFM interview; so if you would like to hear it, please go here: http://www.solsbury-hill.co.uk/tfminterview5.mp3

And finally, no news yet to report on the book front...

No comments: