Monday, November 06, 2006

Week 9 - Update

This morning I am mostly drinking strong tea and listening to a G3 album in the hope that the combination of caffeine and over-the-top widdly guitar music will somehow manage to kick start my brain into action. Have to confess, it doesn't seem to be working yet...

If you missed it yesterday, I put last week's TFM interview online (it's a bit strange) so feel free to have a listen!

Also, I heard back from a newspaper with regard to the idea of turning my blog into a column - unfortunately, it's not looking that likely at the moment. The thing is, they'd like to see me getting some interviews, maybe even some job offers - which is a tad problematic considering I am applying for unsuitable jobs. If only I had possessed the forethought to apply for jobs I was capable of getting quite easily, I'm sure it would have been a much simpler task to obtain a column (although, I fear the blog may have been marginally less interesting).

In other news, not content with playing with make-up last week, it seems that I also write like a woman. Well, at least, that's if you believe the Gender Genie, an online text analysis tool that predicts your gender from the text you input. Having seen it mentioned on littleredboat, I decided to feed in a couple of my blog postings and it seems that jobs 64 and jobs 59 are quite clearly the work of a female. I'm not quite sure what all this means but I figured that it would probably be best to shave my legs and develop a passion for shoes, just to be on the safe side...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that gender genie seems to be a very simple fixed-rules system inspired by an existing, trained Neural Network implementation (http://www.cs.biu.ac.il/~koppel/papers/male-female-text-final.pdf). Its interesting which text characteristics were choosen in the actual N.N. to distinguish the gender...

Oliver Davies said...

It's certainly interesting - even if it does get it wrong half of the time!